Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Party On!

The birthday celebration continues…

I’m not exactly sure what it is, but birthdays make me feel like I should do something special for myself. Maybe I’ve actually bought in to the Greeting Card Advertising System after all. At any rate, I’m on a cruise, and after my last experience with Holland America’s Greenhouse Spa, knew that I couldn’t go wrong. Besides…my feet were beginning to resemble hooves and that needed to end in a hurry!

I enjoyed a wonderful Exotic Pedicure and walked out feeling like a new woman! Dahlia did a wonderful job and we had fun chatting about various topics.

I spent the rest of the day playing games, watching the girls swim and just hanging around. I bought a couple t-shirts and that was about it…until dinner.

Now, the night before, dinner was celebrated and Mom opened cards and gifts to celebrate. The staff brought out a wonderful cake, a candle, and treated her like a queen. So…I expected nothing less. Of course, I was yet again, blown away by the festivities. I wonder what the guests at the tables next to and behind us think. Seriously. We’re all celebrating and the stewards and staff are treating us like old friends. I really think it has to do with “you get as much as you give”. We’re nice to the staff, we appreciate what they do, and we talk to them as colleagues in the journey. In return, they treat us like kings. Maybe I’m naïve, but I still think it’s true that you get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar (thank you, Grandma Bohannon).

I opened gifts from family and friends and read the most amazing cards. Even one from the office. Some brought tears, some brought hilarious laughter, but all brought smiles and a warm glow that still continues. Knowing that people cared enough to send a card made my day.

Tonight, my cake was marvelous. They presented it to me with fashion and flair; the dining stewards, the Asst. Dining Room Manager (William d’Souza), Phillip, Andrew and Benny gathered ‘round the table with several more colleagues and sang me Happy Birthday – in Indonesian AND in English. Benny gave me a Diet Coke in a LARGE glass, Andrew made me a paper rose. Everyone (it seemed like 20 people or so) came by to wish me happy birthday and shake my hand. Genuine smiles and laughter was shared by all. Amazing. Phenomenal. Stupendous.

Afterwards, we watched the Indonesian Crew Show. I’m humbled and amazed at the talent and creativity of our stewards, bar hosts and crew. Incredible! Tomorrow is a new day with plans of doing little-to-nothing but enjoying the pool.

40 never looked so good...

No comments: